Wednesday, June 10, 2015

Blog update! What's growing.

So, been a while since an update. I underestimated just how busy springtime gets when you full devote yourself to your acreage.

Even so, it seems I'm already saying the constant gardener's phrase: "next year". Next year, I'll get things planted sooner. Next year, I'll remember to start broccoli. Next year, I'll plant some new fruit trees...

At the same time, I'm trying to remember that I'm not obligated to do any of this. Really, my big goal is to grow each year and accomplish more as time goes on. And, that, I have already accomplished.

Now for a "what's growing" update (pretty much everything!):

Honeybees. I'm hoping to get some pictures inside the hive soon. They are doing amazing!

Grape vines. There are tonnes of buds for grapes on there. Last year, we really enjoyed the grapes from one variety, but not the other. I'm going to give it one more year, but might take out the less tasty grapes.
 The baby laying chicks are more like teenager birds now. I wasn't able to get a great picture. They are mostly hanging out in the shade right now. We've also got 30 baby chicks for meat birds. Again, I'm going to work on a better picture.





This blueberry bush has the BEST blueberries, and it's currently loaded.

The perennial fruit/veggie area. Blueberries, raspberries, gooseberries and strawberries are all growing strong. Asparagus and rhubarb is getting regularly eaten. 

Root veggies growing.

The orchard. Lots of plum and pears starting. The apple trees haven't blossomed again this year. I'm thinking the aphids are the cause. I have some ladybugs on order.

A picture of the main veggie garden.

Nectarines.
Coming soon, more bees, chickens and plants!

1 comment: