Saturday, April 25, 2015

The Birds and the Bees - Coming soon!

So, I got two very exciting calls today.

The first was to let me know that I will be getting my nucs with my honeybees a week from today. This was earlier then expected. Originally I was told it would be mid-May, but spring has been early this year, which means that the bees have been doing everything early.

I've had the parts for my hives and frames sitting in the garage a couple weeks, but it means that it was time to start building.

When you buy hives, they tend to come in pieces, that you get to put together.
It's a job that my handy hubby is taking on.
 The next call was to let me know that I'll be getting my baby chicks a week from Tuesday. This was actually later then expected. It was supposed to be this past week, but the hatchery they were coming from is in a State that's been added to the Avian Influenza outbreak list.

I was very disappointed when I first found out. I'm still a little bummed, as I won't be getting the breeds I originally wanted, but I've made peace with that and am now getting geared up.  Rereading this book:
This book is very in depth!
It also means the chicken coop will get a thorough cleaning this week. Right now, I'm just getting laying birds, and then I'll be getting meat birds in about a month.

Storybook Homestead has babies coming!

No comments:

Post a Comment